As they say in sales and marketing, success is determined by three factors: Location. Location. And Location. And in 1839, Iowa City, and Johnson County for that matter, had the right location, being smack-dab in the center of the Territory (north and south) and positioned far enough west that it could remain centered even as Iowa expanded westward in the future.
But, in 1839, the one big problem with building a whole new city from scratch, is that there were very limited options on how to get people in and out of Iowa City! This 1838 diagram of Napoleon (above right) shows the only three transportation options in Johnson County:
- The Iowa River south to the Mississippi River,
- An old Native American trail running north/south – now called Sand Road,
- A roughly cut wagon road going east to Bloomington (Muscatine).
When Territorial Governor Robert Lucas was governor of Ohio, he advocated a forward-looking transportation system through the building of canals, so now, here in Iowa, he envisioned a similar plan, only this time by developing a network of roads that would connect our growing communities from north to south. And, with Iowa City being at the center of that network, the focus was to build reliable roads that would lead in and out of our new capital city.
Lyman Dillon was employed to plow a furrow from Dubuque to Iowa City to serve as a guide for road builders. Dillon hitched his five oxen to a heavy plow and dug a deep, straight furrow from Dubuque to Iowa City – 86 miles. This segment of the Military Road was known as “Dillon’s Furrow,” and was completed in about 10 weeks – by the end of 1839. Click here to read the full story.
While originally called Iowa’s Military Road, it was rarely used as such, and soon became better known as The National Road, part of the well-worn trail used by thousands to go west between 1840 and 1856 – when the railroad finally reached Iowa City. When completed in 1840, Iowa’s National Road passed through the cities of Dubuque, Cascade, Monticello, Solon, Iowa City, Ainsworth, Crawfordsville, Mount Pleasant, Hillsboro and Keosauqua – nearly 200 miles in length, making it the longest continuous furrow in the world at the time.
In Iowa City, The National Road came into town from the north (see map above), along what now is Highway 1 from Solon, crossing the countryside west of the current Interstate 80/Highway 1 overpass, hooking up with what is today Dodge Street (Old Dubuque Road) and Dubuque Street, winding its way onto Jefferson Street beside today’s Pentacrest. It’s here, Chauncey Swan and his wife, Dolly, opened, what was first named The National Hotel – after the roadway – later calling it The Swan Hotel – northeast corner of the Jefferson-Capitol intersection, a site now serving Gilmore Hall.
In 1840, a traveler could pay Frink & Walker $3 for the thirty-mile trip to Bloomington (Muscatine) via a two-horse stage coach. By 1842, another firm advertised tri-weekly service for only $1.50. These early companies were all stationed at The Swan Hotel. By the mid-1840’s, other roads were connecting Davenport, Muscatine, Burlington, Des Moines and Marion with Iowa City, and by 1854, The Western Stage Company, located on Iowa Avenue, entered the Iowa City market, announcing daily four-horse coaches running in all directions.
In October of 1851, Iowa City artist, George W. Yewell, writes of his stagecoach experience to Chicago…
There was no railroad out of Chicago farther than Aurora. We went there in stage coaches, traveling day and night, taking our meals often at rude, log-built taverns, where, in early morning, we would awaken sleeping inmates and gather, ourselves, the chips and bark from the woodpile, with which to boil our coffee, whilst the females were dressing the children.
In closing, it’s important to put all this in context with the other happenings in the East.
1840 – the surveyed section of Iowa Territory – published by J.B. Colton. Click here to see more maps of early Iowa.
Historian Alice Hoyt Veen, with Iowa ancestor roots much like my Boller family, puts it this way…
Between 1835 and 1865 pioneers headed to Iowa would have had plenty of company as thousands of settlers streamed west over the National Road. My Ohio ancestors probably picked up the route at Zanesville, then traveled west at least as far as Indianapolis. They may have left the main road there and cut across Illinois on lesser-known trails, perhaps through Peoria to Burlington, Iowa. Or they could have traveled all the way to Vandalia then on to St. Louis where they would have found transportation north on the Mississippi River to Keokuk or Burlington. Either way, it would have been an arduous journey.
All in all, between 1840 and 1860 – The National Road became a national treasure!
Kudos to the amazing resources below for the many quotes, photographs, etc. used on this page.