Recalling pleasant things and taking the time to dwell on them.
The 1860’s in Iowa City.
In 1860, Iowa City was entering into her third decade and the growth of our city – from 1850 to 1860 – was quite amazing. 1,250 souls in 1850 – expanding to 5,214 by 1860!
Iowa City served as host for the Iowa State Fair in 1860 and 1861. Read more here.
Fortunately, much of this expansive growth was documented by Isaac A. Wetherby – who arrived here in 1854, making his living via the new technology called photography. Read more here.
Isaac Wetherby was the first to photograph such architecturally important sites as the Old Stone Capitol (1854) and historic Clinton Street (1854), and his photographs are invaluable to a full appreciation of Iowa City’s early history. Click here to read more about Issac Wetherby.
Allow me, now, to show you some of…
While the State University of Iowa was formed in 1847, it really wasn’t until the early 1860’s when SUI became a fully-functioning university working with students from around the state of Iowa. That transition began in earnest in 1857 when the Iowa state government left for Des Moines, leaving the capitol building open for university purposes.
Two key buildings opened on University Square in the early 1860’s. South Hall (below left) opened in 1861 and served as a student dormitory for five years (1861-1866), and was then remodeled for classroom use, becoming the host to the majority of the University departments. North Hall (below right) opened in 1866 and served the university for numerous purposes until 1949.
Solomon H. Riley was born July 11, 1828 near Chillicothe (Ross County), Ohio and Caroline M. Welsh was born there on February 7, 1836. They were married in 1852 in Chillicothe. Above are both Solomon’s and Caroline’s obituaries, which give us a good amount of detail about these two early Iowa City pioneers and their lives together. At age 22, Solomon Riley came to Johnson County, walking here from central Ohio, and settling (September 20, 1850) on farmland, that is today, Coralville. Two years later (Spring 1852), he returned to Chillicothe to marry his bride, Caroline M. Welsh (age 16), only to immediately bring a wagon-load of belongings, settling in Madison Township (near North Liberty) and living here until 1882, when health issues made them relocate into Iowa City. Apparently there were two children, Josephine Melissa (Raper) (1853-1935), and an adopted son, Carl Hanson (dates unknown). Solomon died at age 72 on August 7, 1900. Caroline M. (Welsh) Riley lived another 26 years after Solomon died passing on September 3, 1926, at age 90. From Caroline’s obit it appears that she returned to Ohio sometime between 1852 and 1857, most likely, to care for aging family. She returned to Iowa in 1857 where they spent the remainder of their time together in Johnson County. Suffice to say, both Solomon and Caroline were, as his obit states, “noble old pioneers who made the west, (both) of simple life and transparent character. Solomon and Caroline Riley are buried in Oakland Cemetery in Iowa City.
Kudos to the amazing resources below for the many quotes, photographs, etc. used on this page.